The US government offered financial assistance to 10 relatives who died in error in the August drone attack on Kabul (Afghan capital) by the American military.

The strike resulted in the deaths of an aid worker, nine family members, and seven children.

According to Pentagon, it is also helping surviving family members to relocate to the USA.

It took place just days before US troops pulled out from Afghanistan.

The attack came just days after an IS-K terrorist attack on Kabul’s main airport.

According to Gen Kenneth McKenzie, the US Central Command, intelligence had followed the vehicle of an aid worker eight hours over 29 August. It was believed that it was connected with IS-K militants.

An investigation revealed that the car of the suspect had been seen in a compound belonging to IS-K. Its movements were also consistent with intelligence regarding the terrorist group’s plan for attacking Kabul’s airport.

A surveillance drone found that men were loading explosives inside the vehicle’s boot. However, these containers contained water.

Gen McKenzie described it as “tragic” and stated that no Taliban intelligence had led to the strike.

At 3km (3.8 miles) from airport, the aid worker named Zamairi Ahmedi pulled into his driveway.

An additional blast was set off by the explosion, which US officials originally believed was evidence that the car had explosives. A probe revealed it to be most likely due the propane tank that was in the driveway.

Ahmad Naser was a translator for the US forces. Others were former employees of international organizations and had visas that allowed them to enter the US.

According to the Pentagon, this compensation was offered by Colin Kahl (the under-secretary for defence policy) and Steven Kwon (the founder and president of Nutrition and Education International), the Pentagon stated in a statement.

Kahl said that Ahmadi, and all those who died in the attack on US forces were “innocent victims” and did not blame them.

He reiterated Secretary Lloyd Austin’s support for the families and “condolence” payments.

Austin has apologized, but Farshad Haidari, a nephew of 22 year old Ahmadi said that it wasn’t enough.

“They should come here to apologise face-toface to us,” he said to the AFP news agency, Kabul.

  • Who is IS-K?
  • Biden was saved by an interpreter in Afghanistan

The Taliban seized control of Afghanistan in two weeks after the US began to withdraw troops. Kabul fell on August 15.

The US and allies launched a massive evacuation operation, causing thousands to attempt fleeing. Many of them were Afghans and foreign citizens who worked for other governments.

After the IS-K attack at the airport, security was even more complicated. The suicide bomber who attacked the airport killed as many civilians as possible and wounded 13 US soldiers.

Many of the victims had hoped to take flight on evacuations leaving the city.

Last US soldier from Afghanistan left Afghanistan 31 August. This was the date President Joe Biden set as the withdrawal deadline.

Prior to the attack, over 124,000 Afghans or foreigners had been evacuated. Some people couldn’t get out on time and there are still evacuation efforts.

Source: BBC.com

Share Your Comment Below

[gs-fb-comments]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here