Canada will challenge a court order that requires it to pay billions to indigenous children who were sheltered by the child welfare system.
The Supreme Court upheld an earlier 2016 ruling that said the government was underfunding First Nations services relative to non-indigenous kids.
It ordered C$40,000 ($31,350; £23,340) payouts to each child who was in the on-reserve welfare system after 2006.
This case is causing tension between the government and tribes.
While the government stated that it was not opposed to compensatory payments, the government had concerns over jurisdictional issues and how money would be split.
In a Friday statement, ministers and officials stated that they filed a protective appeal as the deadline approached. However, litigation would be halted until all parties have met before December. In a statement, they stated that the officials will try to settle this matter out of court.
Marc Miller, Minister for Crown-Indigenous relations said that while he hates imagery, he and his team are taking down their swords.
Campaigners requested that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government not appeal the decision.
Cindy Blackstock of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society stated to CBC News, “If there isn’t a deal, then we’re going for hearings on a speedy basis. Children should not be denied this opportunity.”
- Canada reforming its indigenous foster care
- Canada is behind the child graves
The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal found that First Nations child services were underfunded in 2016 compared to those provided for children of non-indigenous nations.
The federal court rejected the appeal by the government in 2019. However, it lost last month.
Trudeau was reelected last month and vowed to restore and strengthen ties with the native community.
In a statement from the Netherlands, ahead of the international summits in Rome or Glasgow, he stated that he was committed to compensation for indigenous children who have been harmed in child and family service.
Share Your Comment Below