Caption for the image

Two minutes of silence was observed in Edinburgh by veterans

Scotland’s people have stopped to think about those who gave their lives for our country.

At 11:00, Remembrance Day saw thousands of people fall silent to reflect for two minutes.

Near the Royal Mile, there were hundreds who gathered in Edinburgh for the service to remember.

In honor of those who have fought in the past conflict, wreaths were laid on the Stone of Remembrance.

Among the dignitaries who participated in proceedings were Nicola Sturgeon, First Minister, and Alister Jack (the Scottish Secretary).

  • What’s Remembrance Sunday?
  • Why is the Scottish poppy so special?

Similar events have been held all over the country since they were cancelled by the coronavirus pandemic.

This is on the 100th anniversary celebration of the poppy’s national symbol of remembrance.

PoppyScotland which manages the Scottish Poppy Appeal said that there was a 28% decrease in donations because they couldn’t do face-to–face collection.

Gordon Michie, the head of fundraising said that there has been a tremendous response to this year’s centenary appeal.

He said, “It was especially satisfying to see such determination by our volunteers to return to face-to–face collections again after so many were forced home last year due to the pandemic.”

Jack Ransom from Largs, Ayrshire was one of those who placed a wreath in the capital. He served in World War Two.

After being captured by Singapore authorities in 1942, he was made a prisoner of war and was sent to Burma Railway.

A special service was held in Musselburgh’s Northesk Parish Church to remember Helen Burnett Wood who died in 1917.

Helen was born in 1888. She immigrated to Illinois at the age of 21 and began her career as a telephone operator.

In May 1917, she served with the US Base Hospital Number 12 as a volunteer and was then deployed to France.

She was on board the SS Mongolia with American medical personnel, when the accident occurred the next day.

A ship’s gun exploded while conducting a practice drill. A hail of shell fragments fell across the deck and killed Edith Ayres, a 29-year old Scot, as well as Edith Ayres, an army nurse.

The Scotsman reported the news of her death. Annie, her sister, also emigrated from Britain to the US later said: “I didn’t want Helen go. But she stated that if her brothers were willing to risk their lives in Britain for her, then she would be open to risking hers for America.”

At the request of the Evanston History Centre, the American flag to Helen Wood was raised above Washington DC’s Capitol Building this fall.

Jenny Thompson is the director of education. She teamed up to Simon Fairnie (a local historian) to send it to Musselburgh and he returned a Saltire flag.

Ms Thompson stated: Helen Wood’s tale resonates with more people each year. Helen Wood was one of the first American casualties in the First World War. She was a female soldier who had volunteered for service and was an immigrant from the US.

“We’ve been fascinated with her story for many decades and we wanted more to link our two communities and to discover the common history.”


Share Your Comment Below



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here